- Calculate the speed of a Frisbee.
- Know what is meant by relative motion (speed).
- Describe how to work out the relative motion of objects moving in the same direction and in opposite directions.
- Calculate the relative speed of moving objects – the Frisbee!
- Explain why it is easier to catch a Frisbee by running alongside it rather than standing still.
This lesson investigates the topic of speed and relative motion with the context of Ultimate frisbee. Students will learn how to calculate speed and apply this to the context of a flying disc. Relative motion is explained using examples that regularly occur in a game of Ultimate. The real-life example of a fast and exciting sport will keep students engaged and learning about this physics topic.
3.Student Activity sheet